Sunday, October 12, 2014

#IAmNotKelliStapleton by Anonymous

#IAmNotKelliStapleton
 
I am not a mother, I am not Autistic.
But Autistics are in my life 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This has been true for many, many years.
I am not Kelli Stapleton. I listen.
I try to learn from them and I try to be an ally. I try tolearn what they patiently explain, even if they do this without words.
I have learnt to see Autistic people for all they are, and they are incredible human beings, with all the complexities of human beings.
Their neurology does not mean they are defective, my neurology does not mean I am the desired goal.
Just because I am part of the majority, it does not mean Autistics’ neurology should be shaped to mirror mine.
I have seen Autistic people being aggressive. But I learned that there is always a reason.
I have been bitten, kicked, scratched, beaten so hard my nose broke. I had my hair pulled. But I am not Kelli Stapleton, because I was listening.
I knew there was a reason for the aggressions. I did not know what the reason was then, I do know now, because I listened. I listened to Autistics.
One Autistic in particular was patiently teaching me to understand. Without words, not even yet typed words, she was showing me that some actions are actually reactions, and that there is always a reason, and that I should listen.
The same Autistic led me to other Autistics and I continue to learn.
I am not perfect, I am still learning, and I am not Kelli Stapleton.
I am not a saint, a martyr. I am just another human being, and I am not Kelli Stapleton
I value lives, Autistic lives, and I listen.

-Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment